Remote Content Writing Intern (Part-Time)
Do you love following the latest social trends and sharing with your friends? Are you an aspiring lifestyle journalist? This role might be for you! We’re seeking a student who loves writing and wants to learn/improve skills such as time management, research, SEO, content strategy and editing. It also gives you an opportunity to work with an editor for continuous growth and feedback! The Remote Content Writing Intern position will prepare you for careers in content writing, editorial, journalism and marketing communications.
About Whimsy Soul
Whimsy Soul is a lifestyle blog (founded in 2015) based in San Francisco that reaches over a million women a month through blog readers and social followers. Our mission is to help women find their everyday magic through travel, cocktails, beauty reviews, size inclusive style, home inspo, thought pieces and more. We pride ourselves on continually providing relatable and attainable content. And we need your help making more of it.
About the Role
Whimsy Soul is seeking a talented content writing intern to join our team! This paid internship is primarily focused on ghostwriting original blog posts for whimsysoul.com on topics such as:
- mental health
- home decor
- pop culture
- and more!
This role is remote. Candidates may be based anywhere in the USA (or a US citizen currently studying abroad). Virtual check-ins via Slack and video conferencing are required on a regular basis (to be determined based on yours + the teams’ schedule) to cover pitching, content planning, feedback and more.
We are ideally looking for a student who is a Sophomore or Junior as we’d like a 1+ year commitment/long term position. Open to Grad Students as well.
You’ll be working with Whimsy Soul’s CEO, Kara, and our Editor, Taylor on all projects.
- Majoring in related fields such as communications, media, journalism or creative writing
- Mastery of English and ability to write in the Whimsy Soul brand style
- Must be skilled in editing and proofreading of copy
- Creative writing skills; grammar is very important
- Attention to detail
- Self-starter & proactive problem solver. Must be able to work independently, recognize potential needs, and act on them before they arise
- Excellent communication skills, as all of this role will be done remotely
- Strong time management skills to get projects done on a timeline
- Photography skills are a plus but not required
- Writing new content for the blog in Whimsy Soul’s voice as a ghost writer, with the possibility of expanding into one of our public-facing staff writer roles
- Brainstorm new article ideas but also work on assigned posts
- Must be comfortable researching trends for blog post topics and pitching article ideas in a timely manner to meet those trends (ie what would you have written during the “It’s Corn” craze?)
- Optimizing blog posts for SEO (we’ll teach you SEO strategies and how to write around a keyword to rank on Google)
- Source fair-use photos and occasionally create original photos for your posts
- Create graphics in Canva for a blog post
- Occasionally use affiliate marketing tools to source products to include in posts
Example articles of content you may be requested to create:
- 19 Spooky Places to Visit For Halloween (Haunted Towns, Best Festivals & More!)
- The 10 Best Sézane Fall Pieces To Snag Before They Sell Out
- 15+ Simple Fall Bedroom Decor Ideas For A Cozy Space
- The Ordinary Skincare Guide: Honest Review After 3 Years Of Use + Best Products
Preferred Knowledge Of The Following Tools
- Google Docs
Additional Role Requirements & Information
- Hours are flexible
- Expected to produce at least 3 articles per month, with no cap on good ideas
- Must own a computer to use for this role
- Must have steady, strong access to wifi to perform job duties
- Rates start $30 per article
- Perks include PR freebies from brands (ie beauty products, clothing, etc)
How To Apply
Please submit your application on the below Google Form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.