Robin and I stand with you. Black lives matter. Your life matters. We’re dedicated to using our influence and our white voices to advocate with you and for you.
Here is our plan as of right now:
- I have a couple of BLM posts to share on our Instagram feed today but then I’ll be taking a pause on static feed posts for a few days at the very least. I look forward to sharing with you some new cocktail recipes and summer outfit ideas but this week is not the week.
- I’ll be continuing to post on Stories all the Black Lives Matter content I see come through that I feel like needs to be seen, especially educational videos I find on TikTok. I know many of my followers and readers don’t use TikTok and there are some very important videos being shared that I may be amplifying.
- A few days ago I shared a roundup of POC creators you can follow to make your feed less white. You can find that post here. Please go follow everyone. Today I shared a roundup of talented black influencers you can follow. Find that post here. Please go follow everyone.
- We donated to the Minnesota Freedom Fund twice this already and I urge you to do the same if you can financially can.
- This week I’ll be working on a roundup of black-owned small businesses to shop from online. I’ll also be using that list for myself in the future when it comes time to source products for listicles so I can continue to amply black business owners in our regular content.
- I’m currently working on putting together a list of Influencers of Color to share with brands and PR agencies. Campaigns on a whole have been whitewashed for far to long. I’ll be adding this list to my email signature so everyone I email with can have it for their office. I’ll also be sharing it with brand contacts and urging them to fill any remaining spots in projects with diverse faces.
- I’ve ALWAYS used Whimsy Soul to urge followers to vote. This year I’ll be extra loud online because we believe our current leadership is racists and needs to be replaced. Robin and I plan on volunteering for Joe Biden’s campaign as well. If you are not registered to vote, learn how to here.
- I’m personally promising myself that moving forward I will be louder and quicker to confront any racism I encounter no matter how uncomfortable it may make me. It’s not enough to repost Black Lives Matter for a weekend. This is a lifelong mission.
If you have more resources or suggestions on how Whimsy Soul, other influencers or just anyone can support, please drop a comment below so we can all see.
I’m always a DM away if you want to chat more. I don’t know everything and I’m still learning, but I think a great way to start is having conversations.
Thank you for sharing this!! I’m trying to do one thing (small or big) every day to help actively better the situation – donating, reading, educating myself, speaking out, signing petitions, calling the mayor, VOTING, etc. This list has giving me even more ideas!
Thank you so much for being a resource! On behalf of BLM, I have:
Donated to a fund to support Black-owned businesses in Oakland
Reached out and had conversations with my Black friends
Supported, guided and cheered on my Black colleagues
Emailed my town’s mayor, police chief, and council members regarding a racist incident (a Black resident was arrested for exercising right outside of his own home!)
Yet…I need to educate myself and speak out more.
Love your makeover and love your stance on BLM even more. About to tackle some appliances but I was thinking of using permanent vinyl from Dollar Tree. Wonder if it will be more difficult to remove. I guess I will find out! The appliances are old and need to be replaced anyway!