We spent a few days in Joshua Tree exploring Joshua Tree National Park and Desert X art pieces! We were in the area for Palm Springs for Alt Summit ( I spoke at the conference!) and opted to stay in Joshua Tree, about 45 minutes from Palm Springs instead. We found a great Airbnb , visited the local cactus mart, met cats, had beer on a patio, thrift shopped, visited Desert X pieces and more!
Oh, and I stepped on a cactus and STILL have needles stuck in my foot. I like to think I took one for the team so now YOU know NOT to step on these!
Subscribe to the Whimsy Soul YouTube channel HERE!
– We are driving through Joshua Tree National Park right now. We’re just gonna call it Joshua Tree from here on out, ’cause that’s a mouthful.
– J Tree.
– J Tree. So it is, what time is it? It’s just about six o’clock, the sun’s gonna go down in about an hour. I remember from the last time I came here, the desert’s just so beautiful during golden hour, so we really wanted to hit it up this time. Yeah, right now we are on our way to Cholla?
– [Robin] Cholla.
– The Cholla Joshua Tree grove. We’ll see what that is. Hey Robin. You’re a champ for driving still. You drove all day.
– [Robin] That’s right.
– So I’m currently sitting in our car, one by one getting really painful cactus needles out of my foot. I didn’t watch where I was going, I just kind of like prancing around in the cactuses, and I stepped on a little cactus baby. And it’s one of those that I stepped on in Arizona like a month ago, and the needles just pierce right through your skin. and I don’t know how to get these out. It’s very painful. But Robin’s like freaking out. You’re freaking out about my foot, aren’t you?
– I’m actually really surprised I have kept my cool so well you guys, because usually, I am not able to keep my cool when I’m in pain. Think I did it for you. I just feel like a dumb ass, I think that’s really what it is. Because like, a month ago we were in Arizona, and I stepped on one of those things and I was wearing hardcore leather boots, and that cactus’ spikes went all the way through the boots and was like prickling my skin and I should have fucking known, I should have thought about it. Don’t wear sandals or thin or open toed shoes in the fucking desert. I think that’s more like, I was more just like, really Kara? I was like, of course, of course I didn’t learn my lesson from last time. Waiting for Robin to get duct tape so I can wax, basically wax the needles out of my foot. The internet told me to do it. I’m soaking my foot.
Robin, whatcha making? Pizza?
– Pizza! And I’m just here, being all needy. Thank you Robin.
– My oven mitts.
– [Kara] Robin. Checking in on that pizza.
– See it? Oh, it’s one of these cool ovens.
– [Robin] Old school.
– [Kara] Ooh. It’s looking good. You did good. He even made a dough, folks. Look at that.
– Ha ha!
– For those of you who don’t know, I make a, oh, that’s not in my face at all, I make a pizza almost every single Friday night. I have, what, for at least the past three years, maybe?
– Yeah, something like that.
– Yeah. I don’t know, I’m on like a personal mission to make the best pizza ever, and I think I’m pretty damn close. Great sauce, great dough, and I make everything by scratch by the way, so that’s what we did tonight, we some brought some ingredients from home, some dry ingredients, and then we picked up some things from Walmart. That looks amazing, Robin. Oh my goodness. Looks so good. But it’s super easy, I should probably share my pizza recipe, at some point. But yeah, it’s like our go to. And it’s not Friday, it’s Saturday, but–
– [Robin] It’s okay.
– We’re pretending, it’s my pizza night. Thanks for cooking. As I sat and nursed my foot and drank beer.
– It’s important.
– Oh, that hurts. The internet told me to do this. Oh, can this, like when I rub it and I can feel all the little spines that are stuck. Okay, that didn’t actually hurt. I don’t know if it actually worked, though. It’s still stuck in my foot.
– [Robin] Having a good morning, Kara?
– Yes, this is amazing. Good morning, good morning, good morning. I swear, all these vlogs are just us sitting in a car. We do do things.
– Occasionally. It is 9:45, we had breakfast at the Airbnb, a nice little morning soak. We had to do a little bit of work, and now we are off to the cactus mart, so we can dig our own cactus for 59 mother fucking cents. And I hear that there’s kitties there, two of them, so we’ll be petting cats, digging cacti, being our best bad selves.
Also, this is a dress that I got from She In. Just panning on my boobs there. And stories, about a week ago, I was asking you guys if it’s really a bad idea to buy from there. Basically, I bought a bunch of stuff from She In like three years ago, and it was all just like, fucking garbage. But I wanted to try it out again ’cause I had a friend who really liked all the stuff she got. So I got some pieces and this is one of them. And it’s pretty good, but I would say the major thing is like these buttons, this one does this, too, like, it kinda pops up like that when I sit down. But when I stand up it looks great. I’ll link it below for you guys.
Hi, Kitty. Hi. He’s like, nope. Did he get him, Robin?
– [Robin] A little bit.
– [Kara] Hi, bud. Come here. Yes.
– [Robin] He’s so big.
– [Kara] I know, you’re very big. ♪ Potting round little cactus ♪
– [Robin] They can’t be too covered.
– Maybe we should get, see, these ones just have one group. We’re at the cactus mart now. You can dig your own cactuses. Buy hella cheap cactuses agaves, hang out with chickens, this place is amazing. It’s kind of like the Morton Cactus Garden in Palm Springs, but bigger and less crowded. Can we kinda get this round? No. This is actually like, a really nice antique store.
– It is.
– Like, things aren’t too crazy overpriced. But I think that there’s like, actually cool finds that you can use in everyday life. Like that bag, that I’m not gonna get, but I really want.
– [Robin] Sweet.
– Let me see. I’ve got a tea. A tumeric ginger root tea. And I’m excited for this. See if I can eat it in the car. So we just went to the Organic Cafe for some lunch and some tea ’cause we’re starving. The lady behind, whoa, this is loaded. I got the vegan flatbread, ’cause there was only one left, and she loaded it up with so much stuff. She was like, if you get it, I’ll give you lots of extra food on top so you can split it. I don’t know if you’re actually gonna like it, Robin.
– I don’t know, either.
– We’ll see. Do you like it, Robin? No?
– I don’t know yet.
– You don’t know yet? But you’re eating it. You don’t see it?
– Is that it?
– It’s being a ghost. ‘Cause it’s the ghost palm. So we’re trying to hit up some of the Desert X sculptures, sorry, I’m making you look right into the sunshine. This is the ghost palm behind us, isn’t it pretty?
– Sorry. So this Desert X is a giant neon cube. Huh?
– That’s awesome.
What are we here for, Robin?
– Beer. Apparently, this place has good specialty craft beers. Oh, thank you.