*~ Diagon Alley ~*!!! One pinch of Floo Powder (or cinnamon for this muggle) and BOOM, you have your tastebuds whisked away by the Floo Network to somewhere magical.
This Floo Powder Cocktail was super fun to make and it low-key is my favorite Harry Potter cocktail that we’ve made so far. It’s simple yet interactive and gets me in the Wizarding World vibe instantly. Keep reading for the recipe!
This year my husband and I decided to make a Harry Potter cocktail series, pushing our creative juices to go beyond basic ideas (looking at you Butterbeer) and instead make unique themed drinks. When it came time to think up how to make a Harry Potter Floo Powder drink we asked ourselves: what does it feel like to travel by Floo Powder? What does it look like, smell like?
I was inspired by the Harry Potter Floo Powder scene where Harry stupidly mispronounces Diagon Alley literally right after Molly tells him to speak clearly (smh). He takes a pinch of powder and is engulfed in green flames while on his way to Knockturn Alley.
Well, I don’t know how to make green flames but I have seen fancy bartenders light cocktails on fire before so we attempted it at home. And – it works! It was a bit scary the first time to do but we stood with our emergency fire blanket hoovering over the glass just in case (last thing I wanted was to burn down our apartment in a pandemic!)
But fret not, using a splash of 151 rum to light your cocktail on fire is pretty easy and safe as long as you have a liquid to top the glass off with quickly. In this case, that’s ginger beer.
It’s a very simple recipe. Pour the absinthe and 151 rum into a glass then light it on fire with a Bic lighter. Have a pinch of Floo Powder (cinnamon) ready to go and toss in it. The cinnamon will ignite and sparkle, then burn, resulting in a strong cinnamon smell and taste. Quickly top the glass off with ginger beer and this will put the flames out and cool the cocktail off enough to drink.
Here’s the exact measurements:
- 1.5 oz Absinthe
- Splash of 151 Rum
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Cold ginger beer to top
- Pour the absinthe into a glass
- Add in a splash of 151 rum (you can use more if you want your rink to be stronger)
- Take a lighter and carefully light the liquid on fire. The flames will be small but monitor them for safety of course.
- Toss a pinch of cinnamon into the glass - it'll burn and sparkle like real Floo Powder!
- Top it off with ginger beer. You can add as little or as much as you like depending on taste. I usually use about 1/3 a bottle per drink.
This cocktail requires live fire so please be careful and practice safety at all times.
Also, we used American absinthe which does not have Thujone. If you are making this cocktail in Europe this may hit your head a bit differently, just to keep that in mind!
Got questions? Leave a comment below or DM me on Instagram @thewhimsysoul and I’ll be happy to help! Enjoy you muggle, you!
Other Posts You May Like
- Death Eater’s Smoke: A dark Harry potter cocktail with Mezcal
- Gillywater Cocktail Recipe: The Unofficial Drink of the Triward’s Tournament
- Beauxbaton Horses Single Malt Lavender Cocktail Recipe
- Dumbledore’s Beard: A Mocha White Russian Cocktail
- Tips for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Los Angeles