Let’s play a little word association: When I say “summer” and “fire,” you think of:
- Why not both?
Yes, we’re in the dog days of summer, which means sunbathing, browsing your horoscope while lounging in a hammock, and toasting marshmallows over beachside bonfires. It’s also Leo season—time to celebrate those feisty, sun-ruled fire signs who liven up every social scene.
To all you lionesses out there born between about July 23 and August 22, keep reading for a Leo cocktail recipe that’s as bold and attention-grabbing as you are.
What’s the Best Type of Cocktails for a Leo?
Follow your passion for your squad, Leo!
It’s no surprise that your zodiac sign is represented by the lion. Like the lion, you’re all about your pride of friends, and you’re the confident leader of your squad. You don’t mind taking charge of your group’s social calendar, and you know that any activity is better with friends—especially drinking.
It’s hard to top the classic martini, but this old standard beverage isn’t nearly showy enough for you, Leo. A s’mores martini offers a decadent, fiery twist that’s sure to appeal to your adventurous nature. Even better, it’s a drink that demands you enjoy it with friends. Really, is there any better way to release your inner child than by making gooey s’mores with your gals?
You also can’t pass up an opportunity to take center stage—all eyes will be on you when you expertly torch those marshmallows! The whole squad will be impressed by your home mixology skills (bask in those compliments, Leo). And as the protective pride leader, you’ll make sure no one over-indulges.
Roaring S’mores Martini: The Zodiac Sign Leo Cocktail
Our s’mores cocktail is a twist on a twist, taking inspiration from the chocolate martini… which isn’t really a martini if you ask serious bartenders. A true martini has gin or vodka and vermouth. Maybe a little garnish or a dash of bitters, but that’s about it.
The 1980s ushered in a wave of all kinds of vodka ‘tinis—appletinis, espresso martinis, breakfast martinis, even “porn star” martinis. But these are martinis pretty much in name only, served in a martini cocktail glass.
The chocolate martini is especially sweet and decadent, often doubling as a dessert. But you’re not shy about pampering yourself, so this s’mores spin on the chocolate martini will be right up your alley. You can even go full Leo and make your own marshmallow vodka (we love that take-charge attitude of yours).
How to Make a Leo Cocktail
The Roaring S’mores Martini is creamy, chocolatey, and velvety, complemented by crunchy-sweet graham crackers, sea salt, and smoky-toasty marshmallows. It’s summertime s’mores in a glass!
- 1 oz marshmallow vodka (see Notes on how to make your own)
- 2 oz chocolate liqueur
- 1/2 oz half-and-half (or non-dairy milk)
- graham crackers for rim
- sea salt flakes for rim
- marshmallow fluff for rim
- marshmallows to garnish
- First, rim the glass: Dollop marshmallow fluff on a shallow plate. Crush graham crackers into breadcrumb-size pieces on a separate shallow plate; scatter sea salt flakes on the same plate. Twist the rim of a martini glass through the marshmallow fluff, then dip it into the graham cracker and sea salt mixture; move in a circular motion until well-coated. Set aside.
- Combine marshmallow vodka, chocolate liqueur, and half-and-half in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled.
- Strain into the prepared martini glass.
- Garnish with toasted marshmallows on a cocktail pick. (Note: I recommend toasting the marshmallows with a kitchen/culinary torch or over a gas stovetop burner if you don’t have a campfire handy.)
- You can quickly make your own marshmallow vodka: Fill a mason jar with marshmallows (any size), then top it off with vodka. Next, close the jar tightly and vigorously shake the mixture until the marshmallows fully dissolve. It’s that easy! You can adjust the marshmallow-to-vodka ratio on the fly, too.
- Add a splash of crème de cacao for an extra-sweet, extra-chocolatey Leo cocktail.
- To really dial up the s’mores-around-a-campfire vibes, add a tiny drop of liquid smoke.
When to Enjoy a Leo Cocktail
Pssst, the Leo cocktail has a secret ingredient—friends! Yes, it’s a zodiac sign drink that’s best shared, but since when do you need an excuse to entertain your squad?
To really go big, consider a spa day with your gals followed by a nightcap at your place. Get your hair done (Leos love a glamorous mane, after all), show your body some love with a massage or a mani-pedi, and give yourself a boost of self-confidence (not like you need it). You’ll look as good as you feel, especially with all your friends in on the fun.
Then, top off the day with s’mores martinis for everyone. Not your average drinks at home, like a glass of wine or whiskey, this cocktail sets the mood for a night out in the city with your girls. Nothing pairs better with your penchant for cracking jokes and doling out advice than a Leo cocktail made just for you.
So here’s to you, lionesses. In the immortal words of Katy Perry, let’s hear you roar! Another drink that roars, Leo energy? A not-so-classic old fashioned, and we’ve got the best recipe for you!
If you’ve gotten this far, you no doubt know your zodiac sign already. But if you want to learn more about your houses, your rising sign, and all things astrology, check out Whimsy Soul’s complete guide to Astrology 101.
No matter your star chart, you’ll want to follow along with our monthly series of signature cocktail recipes for every zodiac sign. Virgo is coming up next to close out the summer season—stay tuned!