June is here and that means watermelon season is IN!
This refreshing watermelon cocktail is perfect for day drinking. It’s hydrating, easy to make and hits the spot on a hot day, especially poolside. (Or, in my case, to drink on my rooftop!) Watermelon is one of my favorite summer snacks but dang, they’re HUGE and hard to go through. That’s why using half a watermelon for this tasty AF watermelon juice cocktail is genius.
Summertime Rosé Watermelon Cocktail Recipe (Poolside Perfect!)
This watermelon cocktail tequila drink is pretty easy to make. The key is having a juicer, it makes the process a thousand times easier to quickly juice down the watermelon chunks as the machine will filter out pulp leaving just the juice.
We use this juicer, it’s under $100. If you don’t have a juicer, you can use a blender but you will need to squeeze or strain out the pulp (unless you want pulp but I think it’s better without!)
This past weekend was Memorial Day. Robin and I never travel anywhere on holiday weekends if we can help it (the crowds are crazy here in California!) but I do like to kick summer off with “summery” things. It was sunny so Robin and I played around with perfecting this watermelon cocktail, then we got it, I put on a swimsuit and laid out on our rooftop for a few hours.
I used Da Luca Trader Joes Rosé wine since it’s $4 and I’ve had it before at a friend’s apartment and knew it was pretty tasty for the price point. You can totally use a fancy Rosé wine (I was almost tempted to use my bottle from Banshee, a local Healdsburg winery) but decided on the cheaper stuff.
And it totally works – the flavors of the watermelon and tequila all work together and I think a nicer wine would be a little lost in that glass. Basically – use the cheap stuff! This Rosé watermelon margarita recipe is a cheap party drink for sure!
Feel free to make this watermelon cocktail non-alcoholic for kiddos by leaving out the tequila and swapping the Rosé for sparkling water or La Croix.
How To Make Homemade Watermelon Juice
- Make sure to buy a seedless watermelon!
- Slice half your watermelon into chunks.
- Place into your juicer until all the fruit is turned into juice. If you have a blender, make sure to strain the juice in a fine mesh sieve to remove the pulp.
How To Make Homemade Simple Syrup
- Boil 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar.
- Stir to make sure sugar doesn't burn.
- When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer to a jar and place in the fridge. It's ready for cocktails!
We always have a big batch of home simple syrup on hand for cocktails! It's so easy.
How To Make This Watermelon Rosé Summer Cocktail
- Wash the outside of your limes.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice into a cocktail shaker and then toss the rinds in. This adds extra lime flavor to your drink.
- Add the simple syrup, tequila, watermelon juice and ice.
- Shake to mix well.
- Take your cocktail glass and rub the rim around a piece of watermelon to make it sticky.
- Place your glass into a plate of sugar to coat the rim.
- Put ice cubes in your glass
- .Pour the watermelon mixture about 2/3 way full.
- Top the rest of your glass off with your Rosé wine.
- Garnish with a piece of fresh watermelon.
Not a fan of tequila? Make a vodka watermelon cocktail instead! Keep everything else the same, just swap the tequila for vodka to make a watermelon vodka spritzer. I would maybe top it off with some fresh mint leaves, too!
You can also make this a watermelon gin cocktail. I love a very botanical gin like Gray Whale Gin, which is local to Northern California.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 2g
I love easy watermelon cocktails! If you wanted to, you can just go really simple with a sparkling watermelon drink that just mixes watermelon juice and Rosé. But it’s not too much extra work to make this recipe.
This would make a great Fourth of July cocktail to serve up, or just to have on hand for lazy weekends this summer. Pair with all American dinner ideas like hot dogs, hamburgers and other classic foods.
After my stint on our rooftop, we watched Forrest Grump since somehow my husband has never seen the movie! It felt like the perfect way to kick off summer and I can’t wait to make more of these watermelon cocktails. Now, excuse me while I raid my fridge to make one right now…
More Drinks and Refreshing Cocktail Recipes You’ll Love